panic-as-thugs-invade-apc-secretariat,-assault-chairman-in-ondo

Violence erupted at the Ondo State Secretariat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Akure on Tuesday after the party’s State Caretaker Chairman, Ade Adetimehin, was allegedly assaulted and chased out of a stakeholders’ meeting by armed thugs.

Eyewitnesses said the attackers stormed the premises wielding sticks, machetes and other dangerous objects, shouting threats and forcing party members to flee.

“The whole place turned into a war zone. People ran in different directions to save their lives,” a party member said, linking the incident to tensions ahead of the forthcoming party congress.

The disruption led to the abrupt cancellation of the meeting, which had been convened for party stakeholders following the arrival of a Congress and Appeal Committee from the APC national secretariat. Party officials and supporters reportedly took refuge in nearby buildings while others fled the area entirely.

Speaking to journalists shortly after the incident, Adetimehin alleged that the attackers acted on the directive of the state governor. He specifically accused members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), led by their state chairman, Ademilua Odudu, of invading the secretariat and violently disrupting the gathering.

“They came in force this morning and ordered everybody to leave. They claimed the governor owns the party. We told them we were not challenging anybody’s authority, but they attacked us,” Adetimehin said.

“They pushed me down, beat me mercilessly and stole my phone. I have since reported the matter to the Commissioner of Police,” he added.

According to him, the meeting had been agreed upon after consultations involving the Special Adviser to the Governor on Political Matters, Kolawole Babatunde, and a prior briefing he received from the governor.

“Yesterday, the national secretariat sent a congress and appeal committee. We all agreed that a stakeholders’ meeting would hold today. But this morning, the NURTW chairman and his men invaded the secretariat and disrupted everything,” he said.

As of the time of filing this report, security agencies had not announced any arrests in connection with the incident.

In a statement signed by its Director of Media and Publicity, Steve Otaloro, the Ondo APC described the development as an isolated internal misunderstanding.

“Preliminary information indicates that the disturbance stemmed from an internal misunderstanding aggravated by a few unscrupulous elements whose actions do not reflect the values or discipline of the party,” the statement read.

The party dismissed claims linking the violence to the forthcoming congress, describing such suggestions as speculative and misleading.

The APC also commended Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa for what it described as a swift response, noting that he directed security operatives to the secretariat to restore order.
“His proactive response ensured that calm was quickly restored,” the party said, adding that normal activities had resumed.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed that officers responded promptly to a distress call.

“The police command received a distress call, and we immediately swung into action, which led to the deployment of our operatives to the APC secretariat along Ilesha Garage Road. Our efforts paved the way, and calm was restored to the area,” he said.

He added that one person who sustained injuries had been taken to a nearby hospital for treatment and that the Commissioner of Police had deployed tactical teams to secure the secretariat and its environs while investigations continue.

The party assured members and the public of its commitment to internal democracy and a peaceful congress process.

Fidelis David

Follow us on:

About Author

Related Post